After been married for 10 years and having 5 kids, I finally decided I needed to become a better cook. I was sick of making the same old thing all the time and being afraid to try new recipes. I'm still not a pro but I'm getting better every day. My goal is to be able to make my own recipes up and just be able to throw things together and it taste good. For now I'm just finding YUMMY recipes through blogs and recipe books and I thought making a blog with all my favourites would be fun. So, ENJOY!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

I've been meaning to make this recipe for a couple of weeks and finally got round to it tonight. It was WAY easier than I thought it was going to be as well which was nice. Even though I'm loving trying to recipes sometimes I get put off when the recipe seems like it's a lot of work. The thing that kept putting me off this recipe was making the meatballs, I don't know why. Anyway they were SOOO easy and it was fun doing something I had never done before. This is another recipe from the school cookbook, it was submitted by Shari Bruce. My kids LOVED the meatballs but really aren't fans of rice. They ate the meatballs SUPER fast but it took them a while to eat the rice but I'm a mean Mom and I make them eat everything. I thought it was REALLY yummy too but it was quite high in calories, luckily I hadn't eaten tons during the day so I had enough calories to spare. The whole meal was 2308 calories. I made 24 meatballs so I just divided the calorie amount by that and just multiplied that number by how many meatballs I ate so I guess the meal could have been less but I was hungry :) You'll have to add the rice too, I used brown rice so for 1/2 c. it was 150 calories.
1 1/2 lb. raw hamburger
1 beaten egg
1/2 c. milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
dash of garlic salt
dash of onion salt
dash of nutmeg
2 slices of bread (I used 3 slices of whole wheat bread)

Mix ingredients together and form into balls (I made 24 meatballs, they were a good size). Bake meatballs for 20 minutes at 350F. Drain well.

1 15 oz. can pineapple tidbits, drain and reserve liquid (I used a 20 oz. can)
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 T. cornstarch
1/4 c. vinegar
1 c. reserved pineapple juice and water (I just used all the reserved juice)
2 tsp. beef bouillon granules
2 T. soy sauce

On top of stove, combine cornstarch, bouillon, vinegar, sugar, salt, soy sauce and pineapple juice. Cook until bubbly and thickened. Add green pepper and pineapple tidbits. Add meatballs to pineapple mixture and stir gently until all meatballs are coated. Simmer for 15 minutes. Serve over rice. Freezes well so you could double the recipe and freeze half for another day. To freeze put meatballs into a freezer bag and pour cooled sauce over meatballs. When ready to use thaw and simmer for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment