After been married for 10 years and having 5 kids, I finally decided I needed to become a better cook. I was sick of making the same old thing all the time and being afraid to try new recipes. I'm still not a pro but I'm getting better every day. My goal is to be able to make my own recipes up and just be able to throw things together and it taste good. For now I'm just finding YUMMY recipes through blogs and recipe books and I thought making a blog with all my favourites would be fun. So, ENJOY!

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Layer of Love Chocolate Brownies

Before I write anything else about this dessert I want to let you know that these brownies are SUPER rich but also VERY good, hence I ate about 4 pieces, NOT GOOD!

This has been something I have wanted to make ever since I found this blog, Cupcake Diaries and I finally got round to making them for Sunday dinner. I ended up doubling the recipe because we were having a big family dinner. This recipe originally came from Very Best Baking which is now another site I really like. I think the next time I try this recipe I won't add quite as much cocoa and maybe not as much caramel either. This is one of the main things I'm loving about cooking, figuring out what I can do next time to make the recipes I try suit my family better next time or just be able to make my own recipe from the recipes I try, it's GREAT :)3/4 c. flour
3/4 c. baking cocoa
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter, cut in pieces (I used margarine)
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
3 eggs, divided
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. chopped pecans (I didn't use these)
3/4 c. white chocolate chips
1/2 c. caramel ice cream topping
3/4 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8x8 square baking pan, (I used a 9x13 dish when I doubled the recipe). Combine flour, cocoa, and salt in a small bowl and set aside. Beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar until creamy. Add 2 eggs one at a time, beating well after each one. Add vanilla extract and mix well. Gradually beat in the flour mixture. Take aside 3/4 c. of the batter. Spread the rest of the batter into the greased baking pan. Sprinkle the nuts and white morsels over the batter in the pan. Then drizzle the caramel over the top of that. Beat remaining egg into the batter set aside until the batter is light in color. Stir in the semi-sweet chocolate chips. Spread evenly over the caramel layer. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the center is set (longer if doubling the recipe, I cooked it for a little too long though). Cool completely and cut into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment