After been married for 10 years and having 5 kids, I finally decided I needed to become a better cook. I was sick of making the same old thing all the time and being afraid to try new recipes. I'm still not a pro but I'm getting better every day. My goal is to be able to make my own recipes up and just be able to throw things together and it taste good. For now I'm just finding YUMMY recipes through blogs and recipe books and I thought making a blog with all my favourites would be fun. So, ENJOY!

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Ooey Gooies

So tonight for dinner I made another recipe from the school cookbook and once again it was YUMMY! Another thing I wasn't the biggest fan of when we got married was Mexican food and once again it was because I hadn't really eaten it very much or I hadn't eaten very good Mexican food. I now LOVE eating Mexican food, one of my favourite places to go eat is Cafe Rio and I always get their pork, can you say DELICIOUS :) Most of my family liked this meal tonight but I always make my kids eat everything they take or I give them. I think it's good for them to try EVERYTHING! Of course I know there are things that they don't like but I also think they need to try new things at least once. Anyway here's the recipe, this one was brought to you by Macy Sautter (hahaha, I feel like I'm on Sesame Street).

3 chicken breasts (I used 5 because we like meat at our house)
1 (10.5 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (10.5 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
1 c. salsa
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 c. shredded monterey jack cheese

Put frozen or non-frozen chicken breasts in a crock pot. Mix together soups, salsa, green chilies, beans and spices and pour over chicken. Cook on low for 6 hours. After 6 hours shred chicken and add cheese and cook for another 30 minutes. Serve in a tortilla like a taco. This meal is about 2105 calories altogether (it was 2265 for me because I added more chicken). Then just divide that by however much you eat and ENJOY!

Instead of using tortilla's for my kids like the recipe called for I put it in a bowl and let them use fritos to scoop it out and they liked that. I used a tortilla and added salad, you could also add rice as well or anything you like. It was thinner than I thought it would be so I think just served over rice would be great too. My friend said she doubled the recipe and froze half of it for another day. We had a Relief Society meeting about freezer meals last month so I will doing that with some of these recipes and will hopefully learn as I go along and will share my tips or disasters with you as I go :)

No comments:

Post a Comment