After been married for 10 years and having 5 kids, I finally decided I needed to become a better cook. I was sick of making the same old thing all the time and being afraid to try new recipes. I'm still not a pro but I'm getting better every day. My goal is to be able to make my own recipes up and just be able to throw things together and it taste good. For now I'm just finding YUMMY recipes through blogs and recipe books and I thought making a blog with all my favourites would be fun. So, ENJOY!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Oatmeal Bars

Why oh why do I love to make dessert so much??? It's really not a good thing, especially since I'm still trying to lose weight. I love cooking other things too but every time I look through recipes I'm always drawn to dessert recipes, all that chocolate/sweet goodness is just sooo tempting and delicious :) I REALLY love cookies that have oatmeal in them, my biggest love is oatmeal cookies with chocolate raisins, YUMMY!!! Anyway I found this recipe in the "Patchwork of Friends" cookbook I just got. It sounded so yummy I couldn't resist. They ended up tasting pretty good, a little gooey but good. I think I might change up the chocolate part next time I make these (maybe so it's like the chocolate marshmallow filling from the S'Mores Galore recipe) but I like the idea of this dessert.

2 c. brown sugar
1 c. butter (I used margarine)
2 eggs
1 T. vanilla
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. flour
3 c. oats (I used quick oats)
1 c. (12 oz.) milk chocolate chips (I used semi sweet because it's what I had)
2 T. butter (I used margarine)

Combine all ingredients except chocolate chips and 2 T. butter. Press 2/3 of the mixture into a 9x13 cookie sheet. Combine and melt remaining ingredients in microwave for around 1 minute. Spread chocolate over oatmeal mixture evenly. In clumps put remaining oatmeal mixture on top of chocolate mixture. Bake at 350F for around 15-20 minutes (I baked them for about 25 minutes). Let cool and set before cutting and serving.

1 comment:

  1. zoe, these all look amazing! you are making me so hungry. i want to try it all! keep the recipes comin'!

    ReplyDelete