After been married for 10 years and having 5 kids, I finally decided I needed to become a better cook. I was sick of making the same old thing all the time and being afraid to try new recipes. I'm still not a pro but I'm getting better every day. My goal is to be able to make my own recipes up and just be able to throw things together and it taste good. For now I'm just finding YUMMY recipes through blogs and recipe books and I thought making a blog with all my favourites would be fun. So, ENJOY!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Russian Chicken

Does this look familiar??? As I was making this I thought , this looks a lot like the sticky chicken I made last week. I had never used Russian dressing before so I wasn't sure how this was going to taste but it sure looked the same. I didn't have to flour and brown the chicken with this recipe but I don't think you have to with the sticky chicken either. Anyway once we tried this it did actually taste different. It has more of a sweet and sour flavour which I really like. Something I'm really starting to love about cooking though is how I'm learning things I can try next time I make something like this. Maybe trying a totally different sauce to change the flavour or adding fruit and other things to make it a true sweet and sour dish. Anyway I really liked this recipe and what made it even better was that it was SOOO easy to put together, great for a Mom of 5 kids and that's something REALLY important for me.
1 bottle of Russian dressing
1 jar of apricot preserves
1 packet of Lipton onion soup mix (I used the store brand)
5-6 chicken breasts

Put chicken pieces into a 9x13 baking dish (I cut my pieces of chicken in half). Mix dressing, apricot preserves and onion soup mix together. Pour mixture over the chicken. Bake at 350F for 1 hour. Serve over rice (I've been using instant brown rice which is 150 calories for 1/2 cup). There is 3220 calories in this recipe. I divided it by 8 so each serving was 402.5 calories (most of the calories actually come from the sauce so if you don't have very much of the sauce it would be less calories). This recipe is from the school cookbook again and was provided by one of my good friends Andrae Seward.

1 comment: