After been married for 10 years and having 5 kids, I finally decided I needed to become a better cook. I was sick of making the same old thing all the time and being afraid to try new recipes. I'm still not a pro but I'm getting better every day. My goal is to be able to make my own recipes up and just be able to throw things together and it taste good. For now I'm just finding YUMMY recipes through blogs and recipe books and I thought making a blog with all my favourites would be fun. So, ENJOY!

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Fudgy Oat Brownies

I saw this dessert while trying to find a dessert to make this Memorial day and thought it looked delicious. I didn't have any unsweetened chocolate though so I had to wait until I went to the store to get some. I was excited to make this and I did NOT resist trying a piece but I was good and only had one piece and it was indeed YUMMY! I love anything with oatmeal so this was a perfect combination, chocolate and oatmeal :) I also really liked the frosting on this as I'm not a fan of store bought frosting. It was super easy to make too so it will definitely be something I use again in the future. I probably could have waited for this dessert to cool down a little more but I'm not a very patient person so that didn't happen. The only benefit from that would have been that the frosting would have set a little more but I didn't mind the gooeyness :)
1 1/2 c. quick cooking oats
3/4 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. butter, melted
1 pkg. fudge brownie mix (13x9 pan size)

Frosting
3 T. butter
1 1/2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
2 1/4 c powdered sugar
3-4 T. hot water
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

In a large bowl combine oats flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir in butter until combined. Press mixture into ungreased 13x9 in. baking pan/dish. Bake at 350F for 10-11 minutes or until puffed and edges are slightly brown. While the oatmeal mixture is cooking prepare brownie mix according to cake-like directions on box. Spread brownie batter over crust. Bake for another 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. To make the frosting put butter and chocolate into a microwave safe bowl for around 2 minutes or until melted. Stir until smooth and immediately add powdered sugar, 2 T. hot water and vanilla. Add remaining hot water and stir until smooth (I found that adding 2 more T. of water made the frosting runnier. It wasn't super runny or anything but I think if you just added 1 T. it would have been a little thicker. It really depends how you like it). Immediately spread frosting over brownies. Cool on wire rack until frosting is firm.

I found this recipe in one of my new cookbooks I got for $5, what a great deal they were, I LOVE THESE COOKBOOKS. The only problem is that there's too many things I want to make :)

No comments:

Post a Comment